Who is eligible to apply?
Any citizen of Bhutan who is in Grade XII or has completed Grade XII at a public or private school in Bhutan is eligible to apply. In addition, any citizen of Bhutan who is in the final year of high school or has completed high school abroad is eligible to apply; however, such applicants will be treated differently in our admissions criteria, according to law school policy.
What are the admission criteria?
In order to attract the top future law students, JSW Law has adopted very different admission criteria and procedures for student admissions.
The deadline for application is 15 April 2021, before the declaration of your 12th grade results. This is to ensure that students are applying because they want to be law students, and not merely because of their 12th grade results.
Admissions decisions will be taken based upon the following criteria.
- Cut-off Marks: All students will be able to sit for the Entrance Examination. However, in order to be considered for admission, a student must have scored at least 60% each in both Dzongkha and English on the Grade XII BCSEA examinations. (We recognize that many students will not know their BCSEA Grade XII scores until after the examination.).
- BHSEC Results: Unlike many other schools in Bhutan, we do not rely exclusively on your Grade XII results. We will take into account your Dzongkha and English scores (weighted at six points and five points apiece) and an average of your remaining courses (weighted at a total of four points) For shortlisting purposes and final selection, these grades will account for 25% of your final score.
- Bhutan – LSAT: All students meeting the cut-off requirement will be eligible to sit for the law school’s Entrance Examination. The entrance examination will account for 50% of your final score, and will include questions and exercises designed to test:
- Reading comprehension (English), with a weight equivalent to 10 points.
- Logical reasoning (English), with a weight equivalent to 10 points.
- Analytical reasoning (English), with a weight equivalent to 10 points.
- Composition (English), with a weight equivalent to 10 points.
- Dzongkha-LSAT: All students meeting the cut-off requirement will be eligible to sit for Dzongkha Entrance Examination. The Dzongkha entrance examination will account for 10% of your final score. The Dzongkha entrance examination will be administered at the same time as Bhutan-LSAT.
- Interview: Based upon the Grade XII results and Entrance Examination performance, JSW Law will create a “short list” of top students, who will be invited to Thimphu for a personal interview with the faculty. The interview will account for 25% of your final score for selection, and will be designed to test:
- Your abilities evaluated in the previous steps, especially oral and listening comprehension (both English and Dzongkha);
- Your enthusiasm and motivation for attending law school; and
- Your level of maturity and suitability for the practice of law.
If you have any questions, please check out our FAQ page, or if you would like us to notify you when the application and recruiting process begins, please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our online questions form.
Note: We will be administering computerized Bhutan-LSAT and Dzongkha-LSAT. We are also introducing a nominal application fee of Nu.500/- (Non-Refundable) which you must pay via MBOB/MPAY during the time of application.